Friday, January 2, 2009

Welcome To My Blog!




I am no expert when it comes to cooking. After moving out of my parents house not quite 2 years ago with my boyfriend Jason (now brand-new fiance!!), I have experienced many burnt dinners and failed attempts at something edible. Cooking had never been an interest of mine and at first I didn't even enjoy it. Now I find myself searching the web for new and creative dishes to prepare every night and sometimes they even taste good. I must admit, my favorite part of cooking is putting the food on the plate. I love the colors and shapes and the lack of rules. Seeing as how I work full time as a Graphic Artist, that shouldn't come as a surprise!

There are definitely foods I like to cook and others I will never attempt. At the age of 13 I decided to cut meat completely out of my diet. This had nothing to do religion or health reasons. My decision was mostly made on my dislike for the taste of meat - although I must admit, after watching 'Babe', the decision was a whole lot easier. Continuing to eat seafood, I kept this up for about 9 years. At that time I let chicken back in to add a little more variety into my diet.


Recently, I have taken a little more interest in the subject of processed vs organic foods. After reading the book "No More Bull", I decided to make a conscious effort to reduce the amount of toxins I was eating and focus on vegetables. After reading a few excerpts to Jason, he's on board as well. While I have never pushed my opinions on him, he is an avid cyclist and likes to take care of himself. He's willing to try anything I cook so it works out well. So don't come here looking for creative ways to use ground beef or the perfect sauce for that pork shoulder!



In addition to using more organic foods, there are a few other things I would like to try. Jason and I both love Butter Chicken and currently use pre-made sauces from the grocery store. Homemade Butter Chicken sauce is one challenge I give myself! I also love soup. Any kind of soup. Being able to create soup without following a recipe is something else I am going to try. One other thing I am going to attempt is making my own Chai Latte from scratch. It's becoming an expensive addiction at Second Cup. Those are just a few of the things I know I would like give a shot.

With that being said, sometimes it's a struggle to get anything on the table at all - healthy or not. I use the crock pot alot and probably eat macaroni once a week. It all depends on the day and the mood but that's why I wanted to make this blog. The purpose of this blog will basically be to make a catalog of all the recipes I try - successes and failures. The amount of papers full of recipes printed off the internet is steadily growing and becoming increasingly harder to keep organized in my tiny kitchen.

So check back in a few days and hopefully my first recipe will be up! I plan on including pictures as well as a star rating from Jason and review by myself.

2 comments: