Friday, July 31, 2009

Long Time No Cook!

I guess cooking in the summer is not that interesting. We basically eat the same thing every night and it all comes from the garden! I need to make something new and exciting but I'm lacking in time and, to be honest, it's just really freakin' hot and the last place I want to be is my tiny kitchen.

Salad is a must every night - so much lettuce! Lettuce, carrots, tomato and olive oil with a little salt and pepper is how we've been doing it.

We've been having lots of kale and mashed potatoes as well as swiss chard. The old rotisserie chicken has made it in the kitchen a few times too...it's just so easy I cant help it!

I got these little cake cup things at Save-On and we put whatever berries we have on hand in the bowl for dessert. The juices kind of soaks into the cake and Jason usually has ice cream on his too.

HOWEVER, I want to keep you all interested! I was looking through my old photos and came across a really great dessert I made back on March 29 (2008). As I recall, we were celebrating "Earth Hour" this evening and I decided to make beets in the dark! It was a very memorable evening.... but here are my blushing pears!

I got this recipe off the KRAFT website:

2 pkg. (3 oz. each) JELL-O Raspberry Flavor Gelatin
1 qt. (4 cups) water
4 pears (1-1/4 lb.), peeled
1/2 cup thawed COOL WHIP Whipped Topping

MIX
gelatin mixes and water in Dutch oven or small stockpot. Bring to boil on medium-high heat; cook 2 min. until gelatin is completely dissolved, stirring frequently.

ADD pears; partially cover pan with lid. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 20 min. or just until pears are tender, stirring every 10 min. Remove pears from liquid; reserve liquid for another use or discard. (For my other use, I filled a fancy glass with the Jello liquid and just stuck the pear right in there.)

TOP pears with whipped topping just before serving.

As I recall, this was a big hit. I made it once for my mom and dad as well and they both liked it. It's pretty easy and has major potential to look pretty fancy. You could cut the pear in half and do one half in red and the other in green at Christmas time... or use blue jello for something different. So much potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment