Friday, April 16, 2010

Apple Streusel Muffins

This is my first recipe post since I've been back from Europe! I have been cooking lots but nothing exciting or new. It's so nice to have my kitchen back. Eating out every single day really looses its charm after a while! 
 
I wanted to make some muffins for my grandmas birthday but wanted something a little fancier. I think these fall somewhere in between healthy muffin and cupcake. This recipe did make 12 but as you can see there's only 11 pictured. Jason and I did split one and it was fantastic! He's begging me to make some more. In fact he suggested we have a "muffin spree" tonight. Don't really know what that entails but we have no flour so I guess I'll never know.
Streusel Topping
1/3cup packed brown sugar
2tbsp all purpose flour
1/2tsp cinnamon
2tbsp softened butter (I used margerine)
1/3cup chopped pecans (optional) (I used walnuts)

Muffins
1 1/2cup all purpose flour
1/4cup sugar
2tsp baking powder
1/2tsp cinnamon
1/4tsp salt
1/8tsp nutmeg
1cup shredded peeled apples
1/2cup milk
1/4cup vegetable oil
1 egg, beaten

Preheat oven to 400F. Prepare 12 cup muffin tin (or 12 of your silicone cups) greased.

1. In a bowl, combine topping ingredients until crumbly. Set aside.

2. In another bowl sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg; blend well. Add apples. Make a well in the center.

3. In another bowl combine milk, oil and egg. Add to dry ingredients, stir just until moist.

4. Spoon batter into prepared muffin tin, filling half full. Sprinkle with topping, reserving 3tbsp. Top with remaining batter; sprinkle with remaining topping. Bake for 20-25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment