Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Namaste Gluten Free Pizza Crust

Tonight was pizza night at our house. It's been a long time since we had pizza night here so we were PRETTY excited. I found this Namaste mix at Planet Organic which seems to be safe for just about anybody with an allergy:
You can read all about it (and lots of other interesting things) on their website. Lots of good looking recipes and some other products I'd love to get my hands on! I did take a picture for those of you interested in the nutritional information and ingredients ...
Not so bad! To make a 14" pizza, you mix half of the contents of the package with 1tsp olive oil and 1 1/4cup water. As soon as I opened the package I could smell the Italian spices! After mixing for 3 minutes in my kitchenaid, I spread it out on a pizza pan. At this point it was kind of grey-ish and really reminded me of ranch dressing but I had faith:
The crust is baked first, for about 20 minutes. It came out of the oven smelling seriously good and looking like this:
Toppings go on at this point, and back in the oven to finish off. Here is what emerged:
I thought maybe if I posted this picture of Honey sitting on the kitchen table *where we eat* she might be embarrassed of her poor behavior and become inspired to change her misbehaving ways:
In reality, I didn't even notice she was there...because she's always there.

MY REVIEW: By no stretch of the imagination did this taste like those big thick and fluffy crusts Jason used to make in the bread machine... but it was good in it's own gluten free way and I would buy it again. The crust was crisp on the outside and soft and airy once you bit in. I was expecting a rock hard crust as that's all I've experienced with gluten free pizza crusts but this was very different. The taste was nice and the extra spices baked right in the crust were flavorful. In case you're wondering, I used Unico pizza sauce, which is indeed gluten free!

JASON'S REVIEW: The pizza was delicious. It tasted like real pizza. 5 stars out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment