Saturday, October 16, 2010

Roasted Squash Soup with Apple & Brie

For lunch today, I made another luscious squash soup. This recipe was from my luscious-soup-recipe-provider, Rachelle (she was the one who gave me the Champagne Squash Soup recipe I made for Thanksgiving). She's really got me on a soup kick with all these fantastic recipes - the cool fall weather doesn't hurt either. I'm also really digging squash lately.

Roasted Squash Soup with Apple & Brie

1 large butternut squash (I used a butterCUP squash)
1 carrot
1 medium onion
1 leek, white portion only
2 Tbsp butter
6 cups chicken broth
1 apple, peeled and chopped
1 tsp sugar
salt and pepper, to taste
8 oz. brie cheese
diced green onion  (garnish) (didn't have any of this)

1) Cut squash in half length-wise and remove seeds. Microwave on high cut-side down in baking dish in a small amount of water, covered, for 10mins. 

2) Chop carrot, onion, and leek into 1" pieces and place into a large pot. Gentle saute in butter. Do not brown. Add cooked squash to vegetables (just the squash pulp out of it's skin). Add broth and bring to a boil. Add apple and sugar. Simmer, uncovered, for 40mins. Puree soup in batches. 

3) Season with salt and pepper. Slice off rind of brie and cut brie into 1/2" pieces. Place cheese in bottom of soup bowls and fill with hot soup. Garnish with green onion. Serves 4.

MY REVIEW: Great soup. You could do it with or without the brie because it's got a fantastic flavor. It always amazes me how simple vegetables blended together can make such an excellent soup.

JASON'S REVIEW: He's out riding his bike but I think he said "good soup!"

In related news, I absolutley love my wand blender. You put it right in the pot so there's no need to dirty another dish. It's clean and quick and works like a charm.

1 comment:

  1. Just a quick note to let you know (and give credit where credit is due) that this recipe comes from a book called "A Year of the Best" (amazon link: http://bit.ly/dgQeWw ). I make this all the time as well - such a delicious soup!

    ReplyDelete