Friday, December 24, 2010

Gluten-Free Black Bean Brownies

We hosted a Christmas dinner at our home last night and I am still stuffed! Jason's sister, who is a talented photographer, came over early to help with preparation and made us some almond roca. Perhaps, if you're lucky, she'll post the recipe here - it's a rich and delicious Christmas treat! All through preparation she was snapping pictures and I will post them along with some new recipes once she has a chance to organize them. We tried something new this year and I think it was a success.

In the meantime, here are some brownies I made for an after dinner treat. These don't taste weird and gluten free at all. They also don't taste like black beans so don't worry! They're thick and fudgey and I'm pretty sure they're good for you since there's beans in there, right? I got this recipe from the Gluten-Free baking class I took last month and it originally came from Wholes Food Market:
Gluten Free Black Bean Brownies
1 (15 ounce) can no salt added black beans, drained & rinsed
3 large eggs
1/3cup melted butter, more for baking dish (I used parchment paper instead of greasing the pan and it worked)
1/4cup cocoa powder
1/8tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla
1/2cup + 2tbsp cane sugar (I used white sugar)
1/2cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/3cup finely chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350F.

Butter an 8" baking pan (or line with parchment paper). Place the black beans, eggs, melted butter, cocoa powder, salt, vanilla & sugar in the bowl of a food processor and blend until smooth (I put them in a regular bowl and used my immersion blender. In class, we used a blender. Either works!) Remove the blade and carefully stir in chocolate chips and walnuts. Transfer mixture to prepared pan. Bake the brownies for 30-35 minutes or until just set in the center. Cool before cutting into squares.
Here's something else I wanted to post. This picture is not spectacular but the meal was! A few nights ago I made gluten-free wraps with some new tortillas I found at the Italian Market. First I spread some home-made hummus on the surface. Next came a rice mixture with some chopped spinach I had defrosted in the microwave. I topped this with a chicken breast I had cooked with olive oil and basil - 1 chicken breast was more than enough for 2 wraps. With great difficulty (gluten free wraps break like glass) I wrapped them up in tinfoil and put them in the oven for about 10 minutes at 350.  I think the oven step helps them stick together in the end. Voila! A super filling wrap that even Honey was jealous of.

No comments:

Post a Comment