Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Jason's Birthday Breakfast!

This a few days overdue but Jason's Birthday was on Saturday so, of course, he got Birthday breakfast! He requested something cheesy and unhealthy. I had just read the perfect recipe in my "Gluten Free For Dummies" book and tried it out for him:

Breakfast Quiche
3 cups frozen hash browns, thawed
1/3cup melted butter (even though this was supposed to be unhealthy, I couldn't bring myself to use that much butter!)
nonstick spray
5 eggs
3/4cup milk
1cup cooked diced ham
1/3 cup diced onion
grated cheese (they recommend 1 cup grated swiss cheese and 1/4cup of both cheddar and monterey jack cheese... I used probably 3/4 marble and 1/2 monterey jack. Use whatever you have)
2tsp chopped fresh basil (I used dried)
salt and pepper to taste

1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees
2. To prepare the crust, mix the hash browns and butter carefully, making sure the potatoes don't turn to mush
3. Spray a 9" pie plate or quiche pan with nonstick spray. Press the potato-butter mixture evenly on the bottom and sides of the pan.
4. In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs with an electric mixer for 2 minutes on low speed. Add the milk, ham, onion, swiss, cheddar, monterey jack, basil and salt and pepper. Stir until they're well mixed.
5. Pour the egg mixture into the crust and bake it for 45 minutes. To test whether the quiche is done, insert a knife in the center. If it comes out clean, the quiche is ready.

MY REVIEW: I don't suggest you eat this often and I'm not even particularly proud that I cooked it.... but Jason loved it and I guess that's all that matters on his Birthday! This could easily be made more healthy by adding vegetables - spinach would be a great addition. The ham could be left out for a vegetarian breakfast or if you're a "lazy vegetarian" just pick the ham out! Ever since I've had to become so incredibly aware of what I'm eating with my gluten issues, I can't muster up the energy to care about what meat is on/in/touching my food.  I'm really not setting a good example with this post at all.

JASON'S REVIEW: He loved it! Even took his own picture of it. It fueled him to go for a winter bike ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment