Tuesday, January 11, 2011

A Cold Snap & Personalized Gnocchi

Lately, my work day consists of at least 4 cups of joy (aka green tea). Those little cups of joy keep me warm from the inside out. For those of you not living in Edmonton, it's cold. Damn cold. Since Friday we have gotten about 25-30cm of snow and the temperature is dropping to around -30 degrees celcius.

Snow in the front:
Snow in the back:
Remember when it looked like this?
Hard to believe, I know!

Since it seemed like Jason was basically shoveling all weekend, I treated him to a pork tenderloin on Sunday night. The recipe was nothing out of this world but I wanted to show you the magic of a crinkle cutter. These are left-overs and check out how fancy they look:
Now on to this evenings dinner - I came up with my own baked pasta creation. Jason had some Italian Sausage (although I didn't eat any, these are gluten free and that just makes it a lot easier for me to cook and not worry about contamination) from the Italian market and I had some turkey sausage from Planet Organic. I used individual ramekins to mix up different creations to satisfy both of us.
I cooked the meat in a frying pan on the stove while the gnocchi cooked in boiling water for only about 4 minutes. In the ramekins I put the sausage, some grated cheese (mozzarella for me, spicy jack for Jason), gnocchi and pasta sauce. You can use your favorite pasta sauce - I used 'Dave's Gourmet Butternut Squash' sauce. I purchased it simply because I liked the design on the jar:
If you're a regular here, you know I'm not one to measure, so use your best judgement! Any leftover cheese was sprinkled on top and then the whole thing was baked in the over at 350F for about 20 minutes. It's ready when it's bubbly:
MY REVIEW: Good, warm comfort food.

JASON'S REVIEW: The pasta was very good. Spicy, sausagey and delicious.

2 comments:

  1. The pasta looks yummy. Where do you buy Dave's Gourmet Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce? Great idea in this cold and snow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Goods! The pasta sauce came from Costco - 2 jars for $7.49 I believe. It's definitely a different twist on plain old tomato sauce. Very good comfort food on a cold day indeed.

    ReplyDelete