Saturday, January 17, 2009

Roasted Chick Peas & Energy Balls

I tried two new things today and it's not even noon!

First - roasted chickpeas. I found this recipe on http://allrecipes.com and made 2 batches. First batch I followed the recipe pretty much exactly and second I tried some different spices. Here's the recipe:

1 (12 ounce) can chickpeas, drained
2tbsp olive oil (that's a lot of olive oil... i just put one tiny squirt in there)
salt
garlic salt (i only had powder)
cayenne pepper
(i added fresh ground black pepper)

Blot chickpeas with paper towel to dry them. Toss chickpeas with olive oil and seasonings. Spread on baking sheet and bake for 30-40 minutes @ 450F until browned and crunchy.
Watch carefully the last few minutes to avoid burning (30 minutes exactly worked for me).

For the second batch (that is currently in the oven) I put some curry powder and ground cumin on them. Can't wait to try that!

Now for my other recipe of the day, I tried to make Jason some energy balls. I can't remember the website I got this from but I changed it quite a bit. Lets see if I can remember what's in these:



1/4cup molases
1/4cup honey
1cup peanut butter
1cup powdered skim milk
1cup dried cranberries and raisins
coconut for rolling

I just mixed everything (except the coconut) together and it made a really thick substance. I rolled it into balls and rolled through some unsweetened coconut. They are currently chilling in the fridge. I will have Jason try one when he gets home... I don't know if it was the smell of molasses but I couldn't bring myself to try one. You'd be amazed at the disgusting crap Jason eats on his bike rides though. This has got to taste better than "cola gel". I will post his review when I get it.

MY REVIEW: I LOVED THE CHICKPEAS! They are so addicting and can be seasoned with whatever spices you want. So easy to make too. Great snack food.

JASONS REVIEW: He said the molasses was pretty strong but he'll eat them. I guess there's 2 different kinds of molasses and maybe I used the wrong one? I won't make these again.

No comments:

Post a Comment