Friday, June 12, 2009

Slow Cooker Pineapple Chicken

This was adapted from a recipe I saw on the KRAFT website. Here's what I put in mine:

1 white onion, cut up
some baby carrots
5 chicken thighs, cut into bite size pieces
1 yellow pepper, cut up
1 red pepper, cut up
1 can of pineapple
1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
1/2cup reduced fat catalina salad dressing
a couple small scoops of brown sugar (original recipe called for 1/2 cup but no)
some ginger (fresh would have been better)
some dried crushed red chili pepper flakes

Put the onions and carrots in the crockpot first. On top of that goes the chicken.

Mix up just the liquid from the pineapple (keep chunks for later), soy sauce, salad dressing and spices. Pour it over the chicken. Leave the crock pot on low for 7-8 (or 9) hours.

After that time, mix in the peppers and pineapple and leave in for about another half hour. I think at this time it probably wouldn't hurt to remove some of the liquid and mix with cornstarch to make a thicker sauce.

I put this on top of some whole wheat egg (yolk-free) noodles.

MY REVIEW: This was very good. Next time I will do the cornstarch idea just because it was a little runny. Other than that - yum! And I have successfully trained my taste buds to tolerate red, orange and yellow peppers. I'm glad because they are such pretty colors. I don't think I can do green... but damn I've come a long way.

JASONS REVIEW: It will propel me to achieve greatness.

No comments:

Post a Comment