Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Eggplant Parmesan


Still going off that same Weight Watchers recipe book! I don't count points or anything but they have some good ideas. Here's the recipe for eggplant parmesan:

2 large eggs
2tbsp fat-free milk
1cup Italian-seasoned dry bread crumbs
1 eggplant, unpeeled and cut into 1/4" slices
2tsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1 (14ounce) can diced tomatoes (I only had 14 ounces but I also threw in the left-over cherry tomatoes from Monday)
1/4cup dry red wine
2tbsp minced fresh basil
salt & pepper
1/4tsp sugar
1cup shredded part skim mozzarella
3tbsp grated Parmesan cheese (I couldn't find this in the fridge so it was omitted)

Beat the eggs and milk in a shallow bowl. Place the bread crumbs in another shallow bowl. Dip the eggplant in the egg mixture, then in the crumbs and arrange in one layer on 2 baking sheets that have been sprayed with non-stick spray. Lightly spray the eggplant with the non-stick spray. Bake until eggplant is softened and lightly browned, about 25mins @ 375.

Meanwhile, heat a large skillet. Swirl in the oil, add the onion and garlic. Saute until golden, about 7 minutes. Add the crushed tomato, diced tomato, wine, basil, salt, pepper & sugar; bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, until slightly thickened, about 15 mins.

Spoon about 1/3 of the tomato sauce in the bottom of a casserole dish (sprayed with non-stick). Top with a layer of half of the eggplant, then another 1/3 of the sauce, then another layer of the remaining eggplant, then the remaining sauce. Sprinkle with the mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses and bake, uncovered, until the dish is hot and bubbling and the cheese is golden - about 20 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

JASON'S REVIEW: It was rich and delicious.
And here's Jason trying to take the plate away during the photoshoot because he was STARVING (half to death)! PS - He does eat other things too but sometimes I don't know how to arrange celery and dip and garlic bread and stuff on a plate so I just stick with the main course for my photots.

MY REVIEW: This smelled soooooo good when it was cooking. I think I'll make just the sauce for pasta in the future. The wine and the tomatoes.... such a great smell. This was the first time I've purchased/prepared/eaten eggplant and I liked it! It's slightly chewy and not strong at all. I really liked this dish and the house still smells like a gourmet restaurant if I do say so myself.

From this day forward, I will wear my damn apron in the kitchen. This week alone I've wrecked 2 shirts! Damn blueberries and tomatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment