Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Mashed Potatoes with Kale

I'm back! I spent a few days in the mountains... and a few days getting ready for those few days.

Also, my heart was broken for a few days when my most-loved artist died. For those who don't know, I was an ACTUAL fan. Not one of these people who consistently made fun of him and then realized what a legend he was hours after his death. My heart is on the mend now... it still hurts knowing I will never see him live but it MAY have hurt more had I actually bought the tickets for the July 18th concert as was planned.

I also realized I can put video on my blog! Just for fun, let's see how well this works...



Now, on to the cooking portion of my blog... the kitchen (house) has been a mess for the past few days but it's clean now and I'm ready to cook again! I didn't think anyone would be interested in the leftover hot dogs we've been eating recently either.

Although tonights dinner doesn't look that exciting or well thought out..... I'm pleased with it because it was one of those nights when we were SO close to just going out for sushi because the fridge looked empty. I scrounged the freezer and picked some fresh veggies from the garden and made a fairly decent meal. The most successful part of this meal was the kale and mashed potatoes.

We have SO much of this stuff growing in the garden and aside from just eating it plain and steamed, I'm not quite sure what to do with it. I found some information on it that makes me happy though:

Kale is considered to be a highly nutritious vegetable with powerful antioxidant properties and is anti-inflammatory. Kale is very high in beta carotene, vitamin K, vitamin C, lutein, zeaxanthin, and reasonably rich in calcium. Because of its high vitamin K content, patients taking anti-coagulants such as warfarin are encouraged to avoid this food since it increases the vitamin K concentration in the blood, which is what the drugs are often attempting to lower. This effectively raises the effective dose of the drug. Kale, as with Broccoli and other brassicas, contains sulforaphane, a chemical believed to have potent anti-cancer properties, particularly when chopped or minced.

So for my kale potatoes this evening, I boiled some cut up potatoes and kept a little bit of the cooking water in the pot when I drained it. Once it's removed from the heat, add the cut up kale and put a lid on it. The steam from the potatoes will cook the kale. After about 5 minutes, start mashing! I will admit I added about a tablespoon of low fat cream cheese during the mashing process. There was also some skim milk and black pepper in there.


For the rest of the meal - chicken fingers for Jason, fishsticks for me. Fresh garden lettuce with chopped tomatoes and the dish in the center is steamed baby carrots, orange pepper and swiss chard. Nothing too fancy.

MY REVIEW: Great potatoes! Must research some more recipes for kale... or start giving it away! It looks so healthy & curly out there in the garden.

JASON'S REVIEW: The potatoes TASTED buttery and were filling. Everything else was delicious however the chicken fingers tasted like paint but it's my fault.*


* Jason put a dirty paintbrush in the freezer a few months ago and forgot about it for a while... the scent lingers and apprently penetrates as well.


On a side note, please stop raining. Our basement is going to flood. Thank you

No comments:

Post a Comment