Saturday, August 15, 2009

Chicken in White Wine Sauce with Herbed Corn on the Cob & Dill Potatoes

I made a kind of fancy dinner tonight just because I had the time (and I've been itching to cook something amazing/have leftover wine to drink ever since I saw Julie and Julia). The pictures are severely bland looking!
So I have never cooked corn on the cob before. Jason has made it on the BBQ but I have never made it myself. So I looked up "corn on the cob" just looking for the basics really - boiling time and whatnot. Nothing fancy! I came across this recipe for Herbed Corn on the Cob that I could just not pass up:

Ingredients:
* 4 ears corn, silked and husked (i made 3 because we had 3. Perhaps the typewriter we eat with every night will want one?)
* 1-2 tablespoon butter, melted (your preference to the amount used)
* 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
* 1/4 teaspoon dried sage (thought we didn't have any of this so I left it out - moments after I wrapped the cobs up i found it in the pantry! boo)
* 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
* 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
* 1/8 teaspoon salt
* 1/8 teaspoon pepper
* aluminum foil

1. Preheat oven to 400F or 210°C.
2. In a small bowl, combine butter and dried ingredients.
3. Place corn in aluminium foil and brush corn with herbed butter.
4. Wrap up well and put in oven for about 20 mins or so.
5. Enjoy.

To go with this corn I wanted to find a chicken recipe that had WINE in it. I found this recipe for Chicken in White Wine Sauce:

Ingredients:
* 2 tablespoons flour
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon paprika
* 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 4 (4 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breasts (i only made 2 but didn't change anything else in the recipe)
* 1 tablespoon olive oil (I used our great new olive oil spray bottle from Jason's sister! Didn't have to use this much olive oil at all)
* 1/2 cup chicken broth
* 1/2 cup dry white wine (I don't know if it's "dry"... I just used our own home brew)
* 4 teaspoons grated parmesan cheese

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Combine first 4 ingredients in a shallow dish.
3. Dredge chicken in flour mixture.
4. Heat oil in an ovenproof skillet over medium heat.
5. Add chicken; cook 2 minutes on each side or until browned.
6. Add broth and wine.
7. Bring to a boil; remove from heat.
8. Cover and bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until chicken is done.
9. Sprinkle with cheese.

To go with all that, I just boiled some potatoes and mixed in margarine and fresh dill. Jason contributed a lovely garden salad as well.

JASON'S REVIEW: You can't go wrong with protein and carbs and delicious veggies. 10/10.

MY REVIEW: The corn was very good! I'd make it again. The chicken... I don't know. Maybe I didn't leave it in on the stove long enough with the flour mixture. I'd never done chicken like that before so it could have been my fault but once it was done, it seemed to have a kind of gooey coating on it which was the flour. Sadly, I don't think I would make it again.

2 comments:

  1. Dessert was pretty fabulous too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *Jason made raspberries with ice cream for dessert. I took no picture unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete