Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Mediterranean Chicken Breasts with Avacado Tapenade

For some reason, I bought an avacado on our last grocery shopping trip. Actually, I bought it because I love avacados but I don't usually buy random things I don't have a recipe or a specific use for. It was super ripe today so I had to find something to do with it! I tried a recipe from RecipeZaar this evening:

Ingredients

* 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
* 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
* 5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided
* 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
* 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
* 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 2 garlic cloves, roasted and mashed
* 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (i sprinkled a pinch of normal salt)
* 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
* 1 medium tomato, seeded and finely chopped
* 1/4 cup small green pimento stuffed olive, thinly sliced
* 3 tablespoons capers, rinsed
* 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, finely sliced
* 1 large avocado, halved, pitted, peeled and finely chopped

Directions

1.
In a sealable plastic bag, combine chicken and marinade of lemon peel, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 2 tablespoons olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Seal bag and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
2.
In bowl, whisk together remaining 3 tablespoons lemon juice, roasted garlic, remaining 1/2 teaspoons olive oil, sea salt and fresh ground pepper. Mix in tomato, green olives, capers, basil and avocado; set aside.
3.
Remove chicken from bag and discard marinade. Grill over medium-hot coals for 4 to 5 minutes per side or to desired degree of doneness.
4.
Serve with Avocado Tapenade.

Then for dessert, I brought out my raspberry coffee cake I made last week and tried it for the first time!

JASON'S REVIEW: He's busy right now as we're going to a concert in 13 minutes.. but he liked it all. He said I should just make the coffee cake with white flour next time because the whole wheat makes it taste gummy or something. I agree.

MY REVIEW: I liked both entree and dessert! I don't really know what "Tapenade" is.. if it goes on top of the chicken or just on the side? Either way it had a great flavor and there was no leftovers so I did something right. I have some more raspberries in the fridge so I think I'll make another coffee cake this weekend. It was pretty damn good if I do say so myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment