Monday, September 7, 2009

Freezer Pickles

 
I have no review for these yet as they have to sit in the freezer for 3 weeks. Somehow we ended up with loads of cucumbers on the kitchen counter... even though we didn't plant any.  Friendly neighbors! I had to do something with them and I had seen this post on a fellow bloggers site. Hers isn't done yet either but I couldn't wait to see the outcome because these cucumbers were ready to go! I have read on a few sites that these will last for a year in the freezer as well. Here's the recipe I used:
8 cups thinly sliced cucumbers
2 onions, thinly sliced (I only had 1)
2 tb salt (I sprinkled some but I fear my salt shaker is empty so probably nowhere near 2tbsp!)
1 cup white vinegar
3/4 cup sugar

Toss the cucumbers onions and salt together in a large bowl. Cover and let sit for 2 to 3 hours. (Mine probably sat for about 1 hour. I'm not patient!)

Rinse the cucumbers very well. Squeeze handfuls of cucumber to remove excess water.

Put the cucumber/onions into freezer bags or freezer containers. Stir the vinegar and sugar together until the sugar is dissolved, and pour over the cucumber/onions.

Freeze at least 3 weeks before eating. The longer the pickles sit, the sweeter they will be. Thaw in the refrigerator before eating.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment