Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Pork Day



On my schedule this evening was pork for Jason and fish for myself.  I am still working on that huge trout slab from costco so I didn't really have to think about that, but I did a little research on the pork. After looking at probably 20 different recipes, I pieced together this one on my own:

spritz of olive oil
fresh pressed garlic
4 pork chops (?? I think that's what they were)
salt, pepper to taste

some white wine (about 1/2 cup)
chopped onions
chopped mushrooms
can of cream of mushroom soup
some more white wine (splash)

1. Heat olive oil in a large frying pan - saute some garlic for flavor
2. Season your pork with salt & pepper and put into the frying pan - brown on both sides and remove
3. Add first portion of white wine and scrape the frying pan to mix in all the little stuck pieces
4. Once the wine has reduced, sautee the onions and mushrooms in the frying pan.
5. Mix in can of soup and another splash of wine
6. Put the pork back in, cover the frying pan and let simmer for about 20 minutes

To go with this, I made sweet potato fries with my convection oven! I put them in for about 30 minutes at 350 and they definetly turned out more evenly done than with the normal setting.

In addition to that, I cooked up some wild rice that I purchased from Bulk Barn on the weekend. If you've never been, you should definitely check it out. It has the best selection of cake decorating supplies I've ever seen and just about any type of flour/nut/grain/candy/spice you can imagine! Great for when you just need a little random something for a recipe.

MY REVIEW: It's REALLY easy to cook with a plan! In fact, we have so many great leftovers that I may have to skip tomorrows plan of spaghetti. Tonight's meal was very filling and I learned that wild rice smells like dirt while cooking but that is not reflected in the taste. I apologize for my lack of measurements and proper wording on the recipe - I think it would be fairly hard to mess up. It, unlike the rice, smelled amazing while cooking! As for the taste, you'll have to take Jason's word...

JASON'S REVIEW: Delicious and nutritious. Honey liked the fish (but not as much as Jason liked picking apart my fish skin and throwing it on the kitchen floor for her).

No comments:

Post a Comment