Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Yellow Pepper Stuffed with Quinoa & Humus Melt

*I wrote this yesterday but forgot to post it!

I made 2 original recipes tonight! Jason is back into cycling pretty much every evening again which means he's STARVING when he comes home and I can cook just about anything and it will get eaten. It's very inspiring and a great way to clean out the fridge. You can rarely see the white of his plate on these nights:
So I stuffed 2 tiny yellow peppers tonight! I didn't follow a recipe and I didn't really measure anything but I can give you some tips: once you cut the top off the pepper and clean it out, boil it in water for about 4 minutes. I cooked mine at 350 for about 30 minutes and added shredded cheese to the top for the last 5 minutes. There was too much filling so I just put it around the bottom of my peppers as they sat in the dish. Now for the good part - inside my peppers was a mixture of quinoa, chopped onion, matchstick carrots, salsa and garlic. The options for the insides are basically endless - any kind of sauce or spices as well. It turned out pretty good! I also found that when you bake a pepper you can remove the outer fine layer and it improves the taste of the pepper big time. I wonder if I could finally eat a green pepper in this fashion?

For Jason I made some melts with turkey, tomatoes and cheese but I was not in the mood for that myself. I decided to try something different....
I put roasted garlic humus, tomatoes and basil on my bread before going under the broiler. Please try this! You'll love it.

MY REVIEW: You already know how I feel.

JASON'S REVIEW: Absolutely hit the spot.  I couldn't get enough of this dish.  I am really diggin' the roma tomatoes and the spicy quinoa.  Compliments to the chef!

1 comment:

  1. I just recently discovered quinoa as well and have been looking for some other ways to use it besides salads this sounds really good

    ReplyDelete