Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Saucy Chicken with Pasta

This isn't really chicken parmigiana... but it was inspired by the idea. Again, a recipe I put together after reading many others. It all started with a special bag of pasta:
This was another extravagant purchase from the Italian Market and it was great! I don't know if I can go back to normal pasta after all of this.

So here's a picture of the finished product before I explain how it was made:
I took two medium sized chicken breasts and dipped them first in egg white and then rolled them around in some Italian-style bread crumbs. They were cooked in a shallow pan at 400F for 30 minutes. At that time I took them out, put a little of Paul Newmans own Marinara sauce ...
... and on top of that - dried oregano flakes and parmesan. This went back in the oven for another 5 minutes. I put a little more sauce in a pot and mixed in some chopped up spinach. I let this get hot while I cooked my pasta. Once everything was ready I assembled the dish starting with pasta, pasta sauce with spinach and then the chicken breast placed neatly on top.

For dessert I thought I would get Jason one of his favorite treats - ice cream sandwiches. I felt bad as I picked them out because I couldn't even remember the last time we had them in the house and he really does love them. Upon presenting him with his special dessert, he informed me he had already eaten 3 ice cream sandwiches earlier in the day. He then proceeded to devour 2 additional ice cream sandwiches. Oh Jason.

MY REVIEW: This was good! The chicken would have been good on its own as well. It made for a lovely little presentation which kind of reminded me of Christmas with the bright red sauce and dark green spinach. All you need to add is a simple green salad and voila - dinner. I will most definitely make this again.

JASON'S REVIEW: It was good. I could have eaten another plate

2 comments:

  1. Laurel,
    Will have to try the yellow pepper recipe. Looks wonderful!
    Noticed an article in Sat. Business section of Ed. Journal featuring Transcend Coffee, a new shop just opened in the historic Garneau Theatre Bldg. They prepare traditional, sweet Belgian Waffles in-store! May not live up to the street vendor waffles of Brussels, but thought you might be interested.
    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will definitely have to try the Belgian Waffles! Better get over there while I can still remember what the real thing tastes like. We like to take ourselves back to Europe once in a while by trying to recreate some of the things we ate there. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete