Saturday, May 8, 2010

Road Trip!

Since 4:30pm Friday, I have traveled a total of 1100km and have made it back home again, safely. Jason had a mountain bike race in Lethbridge today that I tagged along for (he promised we could discuss future wedding plans for 6 straight hours). I do love a good road trip so I brought plenty of snacks. I found these whole wheat goldfish at Save-On:
*Note the bicycle helmet. It fit the theme.

I also made these cookies to take on the road:


Ingredients
1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup unsifted flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
3 cups oats, uncooked
1 (12 ounce) bag Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used "Chipits" and I'm fairly confident any brand you use would work just as well)
1 cup walnuts, chopped

Directions
1 Preheat oven to 375°F.

2 In a large bowl, beat butter with sugar and brown sugar at medium speed until creamy and lightened in color (about four minutes) (until my wrist seized).

3 Add vanilla and egg, mix on low speed until incorporated.

4 Stir flour with baking soda, salt and spices; add to cream mixture, mixing well.

5 Stir in oats.

6 Fold in chocolate chips and walnuts.

7 Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased cookie sheets.

8 Bake 8-9 minutes for a chewy cookie. (I took them out after 8 and the bottoms were a little dark!)

9 Bake 10-11 minutes for a crisp cookie.

10 Cool one minute on a cookie sheet; remove to wire cooling racks.

11 Store in tightly covered container.

JASON'S REVIEW (of the cookies): They hit the spot.

MY REVIEW: I must say, the nutmeg and cinnamon really made a huge difference in these cookies! I liked how there was a lot of oats in there too.. made them really dense. Some people on the site recommended adding shredded coconut which I will try next time. I think that would be a great addition.

In case you're wondering, the only concrete decision that was made regarding future wedding plans was that I will not be riding into the reception on a white stallion or a horse drawn carriage and I will not be allowed to sing anything (it's for the best). Jason would like to show up on his bike but that's still up in the air.

No comments:

Post a Comment