Saturday, January 31, 2009

Potato & Leek Soup



After making that carrot soup, I had a hankering to make MORE soup. This time, it was potato and leek from the Epicurious website:

  • the white and pale green part of 2 large leeks, split lengthwise, washed well, and chopped (I used three)
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter (Margarine! This should go without saying. I only use butter when making shortbread)
  • 1 1/2 cups water (I just added water until it covered the potatoes)
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 1 pound boiling, potatoes (I didn't weigh them... lots o' potato)
  • 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves (none of these)
  • I added three garlic cloves
  • I also added a splash of white wine since it was laying around
In a large heavy saucepan cook the leeks (and garlic) in the butter with salt and pepper to taste, covered, over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes, or until they are softened but not browned. Add the water, the broth, (white wine) and the potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice, and simmer the mixture, covered, for 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. In a blender purée 1 cup (I did half and half) of the soup, stir the puré into the remaining soup with the parsley, and season the soup with salt and pepper. (Again, no salt because I'm too lazy to refill the shaker)

MY REVIEW: Loved it! Thick and creamy with no cream. It made lots so our freezer is stocked with soup now.

JASON'S REVIEW: Extremely tasty. (I may have to phase out this portion of my blog)

No comments:

Post a Comment