Thursday, February 12, 2009

Red Velvet Cupcakes


**This picture does not do justice to the red velvetness of these cupcakes**

I don't remember where I got this from exactly because I have it hand written in my recipe box. It was from the internet somewhere... I am not taking credit for it! It is a great recipe though:

2 1/2cups flour
1tsp salt
1/2cup unsalted butter (margerine)
1 1/2cups sugar
2 eggs
2tbsp cocoa powder
2 ouces water (equals 1/4 cup)
2 ounces red food coloring (the gel works WAY better and you dont need half as much as it calls for)
1cup buttermilk
1tsp vanilla extract
1tsp white vinegar
1tsp baking soda

1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Prepare cupcake tins (put papers in or spray if not using papers)
2. Cream butter and sugar until fluffy
3. Add eggs and blend well
4. Make a paste of cocoa and food coloring and add to the butter mixture
5. Sift flower and salt together into this mixture
6. One at a time, add the following: buttermilk, vanilla and water
7. In a small bowl, combine the vinegar and baking soda. Fold it into the cake batter. Make sure it's incorporated, but don't beat it.
8. Pour the batter into the cupcake tins. Bake for 15-20 minutes.

I've made this once before at Christmas time and used little foil red and green papers and they looked really cute. I had some white papers with hearts on them this time but they didn't turn out so hot. The color is SO pretty. That picture is awful. Trust me! It says it makes 14-18 cupcakes but I made all different sizes so it's hard to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment