Saturday, March 14, 2009

Vegetable Samosa


I did some research on samosa fillings and Indian spices. I couldn't find one specific recipe that I had everything for so I just took some different ideas and made my own! Here's how I made my filling:

3 medium sized potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1" chunks
1/2 small sweet potato, peeled and chopped into 1" chunks
2 carrots, peeled & chopped into chunks
1/2cup chopped onion, finely chopped
1/2cup canned peas

some olive oil
the spices I used: garam masala, curry, cumin and chili powder
filo sheets for the wrap

So boil the potatoes and carrots together until they're mushy. Drain, add peas and mash until it's the consistency you want.

In a large frying pan, heat up a little bit of olive oil and add your spices. You can always add more later to get the taste you want. Throw the onions in there and sautee for about 5 minutes. Add the mashed vegetables to the frying pan and stir. The filling is done!

I don't know if this is the proper way to use filo pastry, but I just took one sheet and folded it in half and then in half again. I brushed with olive oil in between the layers. *Remember to keep your pastry covered with a damp cloth when you're not using it because it dries out quickly*

I put a spoonfull of the filling on the bottom left hand portion of the pastry. It's kind of hard to explain.. I should have taken pictures! Anyways, you bring the right hand corner up and form a triangle. Keep folding the triangle up until you run out of dough. Brush with olive oil and put on a baking sheet. I had the oven at 350 and they were probably in there for about 20 minutes, flipped half way through.

MY REVIEW: These turned out pretty good. The filling needs could use some perfecting though. I think next time I wouldn't brush in between the layers and on top with olive oil because I could taste it. Maybe melted margerine? I could also make a meat version with ground turkey!

JASON'S REVIEW: Very tasty. I especially liked the garam masala spices and the sweet potato was an interesting touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment