Monday, September 21, 2009

Catch Up!

I have been cooking, just not posting! Here's some stuff from the last few days:

An easy way to make cupcakes:
1. Get a boxed cake mix
2. Make it in some cupcake tins
3. Get a container of icing
4. Melt it and dip your cupcakes in.

The lazy (wo)mans cupcake! I found step 1 and 3 to be most challenging as I actually had to leave the house.

Jason had a race on Sunday, so that meant pasta on Saturday night. Nothing fancy... just some chickpeas, spinach and tomatoes in a sauce.

This evening I made some blackened chicken spinach salad. It was a combination of some Companys Company recipes as the orginal recipe was for blackened chicken ceasar salad.



BLACKENED CHICKEN
1 tbsp Cooking oil
Boneless, skinless chicken breast 2 lbs. halves, cut into 3/4 inch (2 cm) pieces (I used 2 breasts)
2 tbsp Ketchup
1 tbsp Paprika
2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Pepper
1/2 tsp Onion powder
1/2 tsp Ground thyme
1/2 tsp Chili powder
1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper

Heat wok or large frying pan on medium-high until very hot. Add cooking oil. Add chicken. Stir-fry for 6 to 7 minutes until chicken turns white.  Add next 8 ingredients. Stir-fry for 8 to 10 minutes until chicken is no longer  pink inside. Remove from heat.

This is when I strayed from the recipe. I used a whole bag of spinach (to insure left-overs), and made a variation of another dressing recipe found in the Company's Coming 'Most Loved Salad' cook book.
I mixed about 2 tbps of olive oil with about 1tbsp of balsamic vinegar. I put approx 1tsp sugar and a sprinkle of both paprika and onion powder into the dressing as well and poured over the spinach. Since we were just having this salad for dinner, I hard boiled 2 eggs to add to the mix for a little more substance!

I put the chicken on top the spinach and sprinkled with Parmesan cheese. This was probably the first time I've made an actual dinner salad!

JASON'S REVIEW: He is outside washing his bike but I know he liked it because he went back for more.
MY REVIEW: This was really good! The chicken was so flavorful and the dressing went really well with it. I'd definitely make this again.



No comments:

Post a Comment