Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Spaghetti & Meatballs with Chocolate Cake


Tonight, I made Jasons favorite: spaghetti and meatballs. The meatballs were actually made yesterday and they're turkey. I'm sure I've posted the recipe I've used before... nothing fancy. Just a spoonfull of italien seasoned breadcrumbs, 1 egg and 1 pack of ground turkey. To prevent the pasta sauce from soaking into his bread, I created an aluminum foil barrier. This did not work.


I felt like baking tonight but didn't really have any exotic ingredients. As we know, Jason enjoys the odd slice of chocolate cake. I found this interesting recipe:

This is a foolproof moist chocolate cake. Remember mayonnaise is just eggs and oil (If it wasn't for that comment, I would probably have been too grossed out to make this. It puts it all in perspective)
Great recipe from Sally Pasley's Tao of Cooking cookbook.
by Missy Wombat


(1 layer cake)

1 cup mayonnaise (I had 1/2 fat!)
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup cocoa
2 1/4 cups flour
1 pinch salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda

Mix mayonnaise, water, sugar and vanilla together until well blended.
Sift cocoa, flour salt and baking soda together.
Stir into liquid ingredients and mix just until blended.
Pour batter into 1 greased and floured sandwich cake tins[8-9 inch size].
Bake in a preheated 375 deg F oven for 20-25 minutes (or 40 if your oven isn't accurate like ours) or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
Cool and then ice (If you click on the link for the recipe, it comes with what looks to be a good recipe for icing. I just used some extra safeway icing I had in the fridge! 2 weeks until my cake decorating classes start and I've never made my own icing).

I then proceeded to decorate it really strangely with shavings of white chocolate and little multi-colored chocolate balls. Again, cake decorating classes start next week!

JASON'S REVIEW: He definitely liked the meatballs and spaghetti. He hasn't tried the cake as our washing machine is broken and he's trying to fix it. I'll let you know when he tries it. I'm interested to see if he can guess the secret ingredient.

MY REVIEW: I didn't eat either of these. I say we need a new oven though...

No comments:

Post a Comment