Monday, August 16, 2010

Baked Gnocchi in Tomato Gorgonzola Sauce

Last Friday we went out for dinner to The Melting Pot had they had a to-die-for Gorgonzola dip. It was creamy and had these little bits of strong cheese speckled throughout. As we like to try new cheeses every so often, we decided to ask for a chunk at our weekly visit to the Italian Market. When the deli guy brought us a package of moldy cheese, we were slightly taken aback but took the plunge. We've never actually bought blue cheese or any sort of moldy cheese but recently discovered we DO enjoy it when others add it to food! This was a big step in the world of cheese for us. During this same visit to the Italian Market I found gluten free gnocchi which was made in Italy so I had to pick that up as well.

Now to find the perfect recipe. Gnocchi, Gorgonzola and I pretty much have to use zucchini everyday for the next few weeks. I lucked out and found this great recipe I could easily add zucchini to on the Canadian Living website:
Ingredients 
2 pkg (each 500 g) fresh gnocchi (I halved everything.. so 1pkg gnocchi for me)
1 tbsp butter, melted
6oz gorgonzola cheese or fontinacheese, crumbled or cubed (I, of course, used gorgonzola and only used a little bit. About half the size of a deck of cards. I didn't want to overdo it my first time cooking with moldy cheese!)
1 can (796 mL) diced tomatoes (half a can)
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (I just sprinkled.. probably not this much)
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Chopped Zucchini - Not in the original, but works fantastically!

Preparation:
In large pot of boiling salted water, cook gnocchi until tender, about 6 minutes; drain and return to pot.

Add butter, Gorgonzola cheese, tomatoes and pepper; stir to coat. Pour into 10-cup (2.5 L) casserole dish; sprinkle with Parmesan and parsley. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.)

Bake, uncovered, in 400°F (200°C) oven until bubbly, about 45 minutes.
 To go with this, carrots and peas. Why not?

MY REVIEW: Was this ever good! Good smelling, good looking, good tasting. It was extremely easy to make and I would make sure to add the zucchini if I did it again! We did enjoy the extra little zing from the cheese but I do think this would be just as tasty without if you're not down with the mold. I've never really been crazy for boiled gnocchi but baked gnocchi is a whole new world!

JASON'S REVIEW: I like moldy cheese. You're the best.

2 comments:

  1. I tried this last week and it was great, so thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad!! It's one of my most favorite dishes

    ReplyDelete