Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Red Curry Quinoa with Tomatoes & Shrimp

So last night I had some left-over, cooked, plain quinoa to use up. As I had used it the previous night for a cold salad, I wanted to try a hot dish this time. Here's what I came up with:

olive oil
cooked shrimp
2 roma tomatoes, chopped
cooked quinoa (you can read about how to cook quinoa here - do not be intimidated! It's not as crazy as it sounds/looks and it's as versatile as rice but better for you!)
red curry paste - add more if you like it spicy (you can read more about this paste here)

First I heated up the olive oil in my skillet and then added the shrimp. I sauteed them for a bit  and then added the chopped tomatoes and sauteed for another few minutes. At this point I added my red curry paste and stirred it in until it had coated everything. Then came the quinoa and a little salt to taste. You may want to add some water as the quinoa really sucks up moisture and you don't want it to get dry.
To accompany this, I chopped up this precious purple onion from the garden and sauteed it in BUTTER with green beans. That's right - I purchased butter and it's not for Christmas baking. I've been doing a lot of reading lately that suggests butter is healthier in the long run than margarine. I'm not fully convinced yet and I'm honestly not even convinced that there's a huge taste difference (Jason seems to think so) but I'm giving it a try. The list of ingredients is longer on the margarine than the butter as well so for a lazy celiac, it's easier. The less ingredients, the less chance there is for me to eat something that disagrees with me.

JASON'S REVIEW: *Jason had a special meal that did not include shrimp*. As for the green beans ... "mmm I love butter".

MY REVIEW: I loved my quinoa! Lately my lunches have been drawing quite a bit of attention at work because they smell so damn good. This one was no different.

Also, you CANNOT eat too much quinoa. I had to look this up on the internet today because I was concerned I ate too much of it in the past 3 days. What a relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment