Thursday, October 15, 2009

2 Part Chicken Soup


We've been living off Thanksgiving leftovers this week! I was left with a chicken carcass and some chicken meat last night so I decided to make chicken soup. I don't know why I have never thought of making chicken stock in the crock pot, but that's what I had simmering over night. Some useful informaton on this subject can be found here. I just threw the bones in with some rosemary, oregano, peppercorns and bay leaves. I also cut up a bit of onion for flavor. I left that to cook over night on low (from 10pm-7am). In the morning, I strained the stock and put it in the fridge - Part 1 complete.

Part 2 - Very basic chicken soup. Sauteed some carrots, onion and celery in a big pot with a spritz of olive oil. To that, I added my stock, some water and the little cooked chicken bits I had left over. I also threw in some rice! I let it cook...until we were ready to eat it. Maybe half an hour? Maybe more.

Now USUALLY when I take pictures, I clear away all the bike paraphernalia. This evening, I thought it important that you see how we usually eat. You'll notice my soup amidst the pit pass, gloves, water bottle, spare tube, pump and helmet light! Oh that red bag is also full of water bottles. Somewhere in there is a container of safety pins (for attaching your race number of course), about 4 race numbers, a random bike part and a toque (fresh with sweat). Honestly, this stuff never leaves the table. We usually eat on the couch but the soup was really hot.

JASON'S REVIEW: It was good. Rice is nice.

MY REVIEW: Rice expands! 2 cups not necessary. Thick and filling though.

In other, unrelated news, I decided that I should make an online portfolio for my design work. I'm very pleased with myself as I haven't made a website for about 5 years. You can check it out here if you'd like. It's still a work in progress but the main stuff is up.

ALSO - If you're counting down the days like I am, it starts in 3 days!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment